The Areni village was an old and famous village in Vayots Dzor district. The historical location of the village was to the west of present day Areni, on top of the hill (the ruins were preserved). In the 13th century the Syunik’s ruler Orbelyan Tarsaitch moved his palace from Yeghegis to Areni.
On the eastern edge of the Areni village, is the St.Astvatzatzin (Holy Virgin) church. According to the inscriptions it was built by architect and painter Momik in 1321. In the center of the western entrance of the church there is a barelief of St.Mary embracing The Holy Child. The Holy Mother is portrayed realistically in contemporary attire.
Close to the church are the ruins of the Tarsaitch ruler’s palace. 1km to the north-eastern section of Areni are the ruins of the bridge (13thc.), which was built by bishop Sargis in 1265-1287. In the same location the ruins of the older bridge can be seen.